We’ve all been there, it’s Sunday afternoon, you’re relaxing after a weekend with the family and you sit down to watch some T.V. Every channel’s inundated with afternoon cooking programmes and shows – there’s no escape! Although I do love to watch a bit of Jamie Oliver or River Cottage, recent news from The Daily Mail has revealed that Cookery programmes make us more likely to tuck into unhealthy snacks, according to scientists. So just when you think you’ve made it through the week without binging on those calorific meals, these programmes are more likely to make us eat sugary and fatty foods.
In a study, researchers found that viewers are more likely to munch on junk food if they are watching a cookery show than if they have tuned into a nature programme – better turn off Nigella, and watch more David Attenborough by the sounds of things.
So, in a bid to combat this, I am recommending the top 5 healthy snacks to binge on (if you have to)…
1. Blueberries – A handful of these will satisfy that sweet craving of yours. They’re full of anti-oxidants and help boost productivity.
2. Carrots and Hummus – About 10 baby carrots with 2 tablespoons of low fat hummus will more than fill you up.
3. Nuts and Seeds – Put down the biscuits and grab a handful of nuts instead. Nuts and seeds are Vitamin E power houses and provide long lasting, slow release energy.
4. Frozen lower fat yoghurt – You can find frozen yoghurt near the frozen dessert section in any supermarket.
4. Oatcakes with low fat cream cheese – Have a few oatcakes in on standby to stop you going for the biscuit tin.